Saturday, August 11, 2012

Character development

I often wonder what draws people to other people' writings.  In my case, and I forgive you for calling me an egotist, but my writings and stories draw me to read and listen to any hidden wisdom that is within my soul.  Not much found lately, but I will keep trying.

I cannot stress more the importance of those that wish to write, to develop your characters to the point that you actually ask them, the fictional characters in your head, what they think of your story, so far.  Of course, I am speaking of fiction writing and fictional characters.


If you have a very strict concept of what your character is about to do, you may find that you will bog down with a mental block because you are confined with your ideas of a character that does not fit your direction.

Let your characters be a little changeable. Through dialog, let them take a bit of control of the story direction. If you feel that you can not do this, and that you must be in control of everything that is said and done, you can only then make the main character you.

I enjoy the way "my people" come to life in my writings.  Many of them are a spark from this old flint, whilst others may be a conglomerate of the human species that I have met, have been involved with and have either liked muchly, or been annoyed by the same amount of muchly.

No matter what your intention of writing is, never give up.  I am 73, have been writing stuff for around 50 years and finally, in this last year, had something published with the idea of having someone buy and enjoy my mind.

[IMAGE SOURCE]

No comments:

Post a Comment